Default prefix for Cabal on Windows

Ross Paterson ross at soi.city.ac.uk
Tue Jun 21 07:42:24 EDT 2005

On Tue, Jun 21, 2005 at 12:14:04PM +0100, Simon Marlow wrote:
> I've fixed that, and made the changes above.  However, I think $(libdir)
> and $(bindir) should be configurable as options to ./setup configure
> (weren't we going to do that at one stage?).

Yes "we" were, but "we" haven't got around to it :-)

> The story is now:
>
> On Windows,
>
>    prefix  | is_excutable = $(ProgramFiles)\$(PackageId)
>            | is_library   = $(ProgramFiles)\Haskell\$(PackageId)
>
>    libdir = $(prefix)\$(CompilerId)
>    bindir = $(prefix)\bin
>
> On Unix,
>
>    prefix = "/usr/local"
>    libdir = $(prefix)/$(PackageId)/$(CompilerId)
>    bindir = $(prefix)/bin
>
> This is ok for the default prefix, but not great if you want to set
> prefix to /opt/pkg-1.0, for example - that's why we need to be able to
> set libdir independently.

Actually you have

    libdir = $(prefix)/lib/$(PackageId)/$(CompilerId)

which is better, as the FHS forbids creativity in the names of the
immediate subdirectories of /usr/local.  But maybe this is something
other than libdir, for which the conventional default is

    libdir = $(prefix)/lib

You'll probably also want substitution of variables in these strings
before too long.