Raw filenames vs locales

Ian Lynagh igloo at earth.li
Sat Jul 30 18:55:43 EDT 2005

On Sat, Jul 30, 2005 at 11:57:48AM -0700, Daan Leijen wrote:

> (Ian: I haven't studied your proposal in detail, but I can't see directly
> why you propose a separate FilePath class?)

If I understand correctly, we are saying the same thing up to my
System.IO.Impl, but for you this would be System.IO itself. By making
System.IO a layer on top of this we get backwards compatibility with
existing code (except where type sigs need to be added) and we don't
need to have explicit conversion functions (between the FileName type
and filenames the user enters as strings through getLine, filenames we
get from a GUI library etc) throughout the code we write.

Thanks
Ian