finding the dependecies of cabal packages

Bernard Pope bjpop at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Wed Jul 27 21:53:23 EDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-07-27 at 22:32 +0100, Duncan Coutts wrote:

> If cabal packages can be adapted to 'native' packages easily (be that
> windows MSI installers, .deb .rpm etc) then it will allow Haskell
> libraries/programs to be distributed much more easily and to a wider
> audience.

I agree.

> I think this aspect of Cabal has not got enough attention yet. Perhaps
> the people who package haskell programs/libs for the major systems
> (Debian, Gentoo, Fedora, MacOS X, FreeBSD, Windows) should get together
> and think about our requirements.

I've been using autoconf and automake for buddha, which though ugly at
times, provides a nice path to making packages for various unixy systems
(generally I think because this is the standard GNU way of doing
things).

However, I haven't been able to migrate this over to cabal. One thing
that is not clear in my mind is where cabal ends and autotools begin.
There seems to be some overlap. Personally, I would love to throw away
all the autotools stuff, but I'm not sure if I can easily replicate
everything in cabal alone.

Is it a goal of cabal to be able to avoid autotools?

Bernie.