Cabal Release Candidate

Ross Paterson ross at soi.city.ac.uk
Tue Jul 19 09:27:49 EDT 2005

On Sun, Jul 17, 2005 at 12:12:27PM -0500, Brian Smith wrote:
> * In Distribution.Preprocess, there are two places where you have this:
> #if __HUGS__ && mingw32_TARGET_OS
> 	  = rawSystemVerbose verbose "sh" (cpphs : extraArgs ++ ["-O" ++
> outFile, inFile])
> #else
>
> If I am reading this correctly then it doesn't make sense because you
> can't assume that all Hugs users on Windows users have a "sh"
> executable.

It's intended only for building the fptools libraries as part of the
Hugs build, which is expected to take place inside Cygwin or MSYS/MinGW.
As you say, it's no use to ordinary users -- something new is needed.

On a system built with a compiler, cpphs and hsc2hs will be binaries and
can be executed directly, but Hugs doesn't create binaries.  Without a
compiler, cpphs and hsc2hs will be shell scripts (or BAT files, though
Cabal isn't set up for running those either).  Any ideas?

Another deficiency in Windows+Cabal is the lack of some counterpart of the
scheme described in section 2.2 of the user's guide.  It would probably
suffice in many cases to have fixed variants of the system-specific
files for each non-Unix system.