Cabal Release Candidate

Isaac Jones ijones at syntaxpolice.org
Thu Jul 14 02:52:21 EDT 2005

I've updated the web page to have 1.0 (as Malcolm requested), and
added 1.1.1, which is a "release candidate" for 1.2.  Please forgive
me for going insane with the version numbers.

I'd appreciate it if early adopter types try out 1.1.1.  In
particular, check out the README wrt installing alongside-of or
instead-of 1.0 with ghc 6.4.

BTW, if anyone loves to manage releases and would like to relieve me
of this duty so I can spend my time fixing bugs and adding features,
just let me know ;)

peace,

  isaac

                      The Haskell Cabal
The Common Architecture for Building Applications and Libraries.
http://www.haskell.org/cabal

IMPORTANT INFORMATION:

See both the README file and the changelog for important interface
changes and installation instructions.

DOWNLOAD:

The Haskell Cabal has reached version 1.1.1.  This pre-release has a
number of new features including a hook for testing, support for
profiling, and support for _stub files, as well as several bug fixes.

Download the Cabal here (source and debian versions available):
http://www.haskell.org/cabal/download.html

BUGS:

Please report bugs and wish-list items to libraries at haskell.org and
Isaac Jones: ijones at syntaxpolice.org.

ABOUT:

The Haskell Cabal is meant to be a part of a larger infrastructure for
distributing, organizing, and cataloging Haskell Libraries and
Tools. It is an effort to provide a framework for developers to more
effectively contribute their software to the Haskell community.

Specifically, the Cabal describes what a Haskell package is, how these
packages interact with the language, and what Haskell implementations
must to do to support packages. The Cabal also specifies some
infrastructure (code) that makes it easy for tool authors to build and
distribute conforming packages.

The Cabal is only one contribution to the larger goal. In particular,
the Cabal says nothing about more global issues such as how authors
decide where in the module name space their library should live; how
users can find a package they want; how orphan packages find new
owners; and so on.

NOTES:

You cannot currently execute most setup scripts with "./Setup.lhs"
since most systems do not have a runHaskell executable installed.  You
can compile it with ghc thusly: "ghc -package Cabal Setup.lhs -o
setup" and then use the "setup" executable after that.

This release is meant to provide the community with concrete
information about how the interfaces are shaping up.  This release
does NOT fix the interfaces, we can't promise not to break anything
that relies on these interfaces.  We hope that Haskell authors will
try to package their software using these tools, and let us know where
they fall short.

MORE INFORMATION:

Please see the web site for the source code, interfaces, and
especially the proposal, which will serve as documentation for this
release:

http://www.haskell.org/cabal/