RFC: Time Library 0.1

Ashley Yakeley ashley at semantic.org
Wed Jul 6 04:17:03 EDT 2005

In article <20050705161044.GA14040 at soi.city.ac.uk>,
 Ross Paterson <ross at soi.city.ac.uk> wrote:

> Some nits:
> - the DayEncoding and FormatTime instances for ModJulianDay (a synonym
>   for Integer) aren't Haskell 98.

What's the 98 rule on this? GHC with extensions off doesn't seem to mind.

> - to make it build with Hugs, add {-# CFILES timestuff.c #-} to
>   System/Time/Calendar/Timezone.hs and Include-Dirs: . to TimeLib.cabal.

added to TODO list

> - some modules are exposed but hidden from Haddock.

How do I hide modules?

> - the docs should say DiffTime and UTCDiffTime are in seconds.

added to TODO list

> It might be useful to put the day-only stuff (ModJulianDay, DayEncoding,
> YearDay, GregorianDay, ISOWeek, isLeapYear, mondayStartWeek and
> sundayStartWeek) in a separate module.

The original plan was to stick to just three modules, but I tend to
agree that splitting Calendar as you say would be an improvement. Any
objections?

Also I may rename ISOWeek to ISOWeekDay.

Thanks!

--
Ashley Yakeley, Seattle WA