Time

Daan Leijen daan at cs.uu.nl
Mon Jan 24 05:52:53 EST 2005

Keith Wansbrough wrote:
>>Rather than talk about specific Haskell code, I'd like to discuss the
>>measurement of time in general, how these concepts might be expressed in
>>Haskell, and what people might want from a time library. Rather than
>>propose anything, I want to try to ask some of the right questions.
>

> Wow, thanks for the impressive essay!

I second that -- it was a pleasant read and a very nice
summary. Considering all the issues, it seems important to be pragmatic
about the Time library:

The first attempt at the Time library should probably focus on the
basics that we clearly understand: TAI and UTC, and maybe time zones.
The more tricky stuff, like calendars, and "next year" can than be dealt
with later, on top of the well understood libraries.

-- Daan.