Non-H98 crusade, contd.

Henning Thielemann lemming at henning-thielemann.de
Mon Feb 28 09:40:40 EST 2005

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005, Malcolm Wallace wrote:

> Sven Panne <Sven.Panne at aedion.de> writes:
>
> > OK, let's try to summarize what seems to be the current consensus about
> > more or less conservative & settled extensions to Haskell98:
>
> There is a larger point to consider.  We should remember that revising
> the Haskell language is not only about extending it, but also about
> removing dead/ugly features, and changing features that are wrong
> or inconsistent.

Yes, fight against diabetes! :-]
 Modula-3 was designed to let the language definition fit in 50 pages -
that's a serious goal. Since Haskell doesn't need many features of
imperative languages like variables, constants, loops, etc. there is more
space for type issues, and this goal still seems to be realizable for
Haskell, too.