Data.Maybe comments

Paul Steckler paul.steckler.ctr at metnet.navy.mil
Tue Feb 15 17:41:44 EST 2005

Hi,

  Two comments about the docs for Data.Maybe on www.haskell.org/:

  1) The documentation for the "maybe" function ends with:

      "Otherwise, it applies the function to the value inside the Just and
returns that."

     Returns which?  I think this should read:

      "Otherwise, it applies the function to the value inside the Just and
returns the result."

  2) The documentation for mapMaybe ends with:

      "If it just Just a, then a is added on to the result list."

     First, I think "Just a" and "a" should be "Just b" and "b", or "Just v"
and "v", etc.
     The reader may think these a's are the same a's in the type, which is
not the case.
     Also, the phrase "added on to the result list" is misleading, I think.
So my suggested
     alternative is:

      "If it just Just b, then b is included in the result list."

  Hope this helps.

-- Paul