Calendar Types

Graham Klyne GK at ninebynine.org
Tue Feb 15 05:05:33 EST 2005

At 19:59 14/02/05 -0800, Ashley Yakeley wrote:
> > (2) a CalendarTime sans timezone is equivalent to UTC,
>
>No, a CalendarTime without a time zone would simply be a local time. It
>would not correspond to any particular absolute time.

Yes, something like that... RFC3339 has a trick of using -00:00 offset for
this:
[[
4.3. Unknown Local Offset Convention

    If the time in UTC is known, but the offset to local time is unknown,
    this can be represented with an offset of "-00:00".  This differs
    semantically from an offset of "Z" or "+00:00", which imply that UTC
    is the preferred reference point for the specified time.  RFC2822
    [IMAIL-UPDATE] describes a similar convention for email.
]]
-- http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3339.txt

I don't recall if this is true in ISO 8601 - maybe not.

(I'm not promoting the syntax here, just supporting the general concept.)

#g