Calendar Types

Keean Schupke k.schupke at
Mon Feb 14 16:07:52 EST 2005

Seth Kurtzberg wrote:

> There are many details which are not easy to represent with a
> timezone.  There are places (e.g. in Indiana) where a town just over
> the timezone line from another town uses the "wrong" timezone, in that
> case to handle the problem that the towns have grown to the point
> where they are actually one (virtual?) town.
> Arizona does not observe daylight savings time, but on some of the
> Indian reservations daylight savings is observed.
> The state of Sonora, in Mexico, makes a decision periodically to
> follow, or not follow, the fact that Arizona (its northern neighbor)
> doesn't use daylight savings, but other Mexican states in the same
> time zone do observe daylight savings.  In the last ten years I know
> that the decision has changed twice, and currently Sonora follows the
> practice of other Mexican states in the same time zone.
Historically, towns in the UK used to have their own time (set by
midday) - however when the railway came, it was necessary to standardise
time, so that train timetables could be compiled.

What do the national train/public-transport services do in these
instances? My gut feeling would be that whatever they do would be what
Haskell should do. I would guess that such local anomalies are ignored
by the public transport timetables?