Cabal package descriptions

Ross Paterson ross at soi.city.ac.uk
Thu Feb 10 11:18:04 EST 2005

On Thu, Feb 10, 2005 at 03:33:48PM -0000, Simon Marlow wrote:
> I more or less agree with all this, but it's too late to get any API
> changes into 6.4 now.  We might have to start thinking about backwards
> compatibility.

There's a dissonance between the need to ship GHC and the unfinished state
of Cabal.  Most of the interface is worked out, but there are a few parts
(not the parts currently used by GHC) that are experimental and/or need
fixing, and these have had very little user feedback.  I think this will
be a beta release for Cabal, and its interface will need changing soon.
What to do?  Independent releases of Cabal updates?