Question about packages and GHCi

Martin Erwig erwig at
Tue Feb 1 20:51:46 EST 2005

I apologize if this is the wrong mailing list to turn to,
but I would be grateful for any help with two problems
I have when trying to add a package to GHCi. (I wasn't able
to find sufficient information in the documentation for packages

(1) When I try to add a package to ghc, I receive the
error message that a GHCi lib fil cannot be found.

   > ghc-pkg -u -i fgl.pkg
   Reading package info from "fgl.pkg"done.
   Expanding embedded variables... done.
   warning: can't find GHCi lib `HSfgl.o'
   Saving old package config file... done.
   Writing new package config file... done.

The missing file `HSfgl.o' is located on the
current directory as well as in the directory
where all other .o and .a files for GHC are
kept (/usr/local/lib/ghc-6.2/).

(2) Maybe related to the previous problem is the
following. When I start "ghci -package fgl", I receive
the following error message:

   GHCi runtime linker: fatal error: I found a duplicate definition for
   whilst processing object file
   This could be caused by:
      * Specifying the same object file twice on the GHCi command line
      * An incorrect `package.conf' entry, causing some object to be
        loaded twice.
   GHCi cannot safely continue in this situation.  Exiting now.  Sorry.

Any help is greatly appreciated.