"#!..." (Re[2]: cabal configure screw-up)

Ross Paterson ross at soi.city.ac.uk
Sat Aug 27 08:34:15 EDT 2005

On Sat, Aug 27, 2005 at 10:38:42AM +0100, Duncan Coutts wrote:
> I think we just have to accept that windows doesn't understand the #!
> thing.

Indeed.  (though the original setting was MinGW+MSYS, not Cygwin)

> If fact cabal packages that use configure scripts are not going to be
> portable to windows anyway since we cannot assume that users have
> MinGW/cygwin installed. That is one of the reasons to favour the simple
> cabal build system, because it will work on windows without any unix
> utiities like sh & make etc.

For some packages that interface to C libraries, configure solves a
real problem on Unix systems, and we need a way to solve that problem
on Win32.  It might be enough to include Win32 versions of the files
that configure generates, and on Win32 to just copy those instead of
running configure.