Priority Queues, or lack thereof

Frederik Eaton frederik at a5.repetae.net
Sun Aug 14 07:45:32 EDT 2005

I have something I call a "HashHeap" which I use in my "RevModeDiff"
(automatic differentiation) module. Both are here:

http://ofb.net/~frederik/futility/

I wrote it when I was first learning Haskell so it's a bit unpolished,
but I think some reincarnation of the same concept might be a good
complement to a priority queue implementation such as yours.

What it is is a map of priorities to hashtables of keys to values.
Each value has a priority and a key. This allows you to insert
something with a non-unique priority and then remove it later. You can
also remove everything with the smallest priority - all the values in
the smallest-priority hash table.

It does take log(n) time to find the top priority. In my application
this is not a problem, though, since many things share the same
priority. If I were to have taken the purely functional route of using
a map of (priority,value) tuple keys then it might be a bigger
problem. However, my values are not Ord so that route was not allowed.

I often find that when I want to use priority queues, I'm annoyed by
the fact that I can't remove something which is not the minimum.
Suppose I'm scheduling jobs and I want to cancel a job, etc. I can
imagine that with an imperative data structure I could have it both
ways - deletion of internal elements, and O(1) findMin. Is this not
possible with a functional implementation? It doesn't seem to be a
feature of your implementation. If it were possible, it seems like it
might be nice to have it as part of the interface.

One more thing, about the order of arguments:

insertBy ::     (a -> a -> Ordering)    -- ^ An ordering function
                -> a       -- ^ The element to insert
                -> PriorityQueue a       -- ^ The priority queue in which the element will be inserted
                -> PriorityQueue a    -- ^ The resulting priority queue

I see the same kind of argument ordering in Data.Map. Why is the data
structure last? Usually one would think that the arguments should be
ordered from "most constant" to "least constant" so that currying is
as useful as possible. But surely the data structure is "more
constant" than its elements, even (especially?) if it is persistent.

Cheers,

Frederik