Foreign language parsers

Manuel M T Chakravarty chak at cse.unsw.edu.au
Sun Aug 7 03:24:54 EDT 2005

Dominic Fox:
> I'm trying to collate a list of currently extant Haskell projects that
> include parsers for foreign languages such as PHP and C.
>
> To this end, I've created a wiki page at
> http://haskell.org/hawiki/ParsingForeignLanguagesInHaskell.
>
> Has anyone looked at positioning foreign language parsing modules in
> the standard libs, or specifying a common framework or contract for
> such modules?

As SimonM pointed out, the hierarchical libraries have a Language
subtree, which currently is only populated for Haskell.  I guess the
only reason that it isn't populated for other languages is because
nobody was prepared to put the time into writing the needed code.  To
get started, ripping stuff out of existing software, such as c2hs, is a
good plan (and I'd be very happy if c2hs code would find other use this
way), but it's still going to be substantial work.  It's worthwhile
work, though.

Manuel