Help! no environment variable expansion in package files ?!?

Daan Leijen daan at cs.uu.nl
Thu Apr 28 11:14:52 EDT 2005

Simon Marlow wrote:

>On 28 April 2005 15:24, Daan Leijen wrote:
>

>>>I suggest you use CPP ('gcc -E -undef -traditional -P' or 'cpphs').
>>>This is what we use in GHC to get values into the package.conf files.
>>>e.g. in a Makefile you would write something like:
>>>

>>This does not work for me. For the *binary* installer for windows,
>>I use a batch file (.bat). The user unzips the binary files (.hi & .o)
>>in some location and runs "register.bat" which calls ghc-pkg with
>>the .pkg files. This batch file sets the current directory (= the
>>install directory) as an environment variable that used to be expanded
>>in the .pkg files. Now, I need to generate those .pkg files inside
>>the .bat file which seems a lot of extra work, if it works at all..
>>

>Ah, I see.  I'll look into re-enabling this feature in 6.4.1.

Thanks. For now, I'll try to fix it using batch generated pkg files.

>>Another thing that causes me trouble is that I seem to need to
>>list all exposed modules explicitly. For me, this means that I
>>need to put those modules into the configure script which makes
>>everything much more fragile. Is there a way to use a wildcard,
>>ie. saying "expose everything in here"?
>>

>Sorry, no.  I started to implement something like that, but it turned
>out to be a lot harder than I thought (can't remember why, exactly).

I can imagine that it might be harder. I'll try to work out some
clever scheme. The next release of wxHaskell will just be somewhat later.

Thanks for the quick respons,
Cheers,
 Daan Leijen.

ps. For the rest, Ghc 6.4 works great. The
improved warnings and error messages are really nice :-)
Great work!