Cabal vs Haskell [sic]

David Roundy droundy at
Tue Apr 26 07:15:06 EDT 2005

On Mon, Apr 25, 2005 at 11:54:45PM -0400, S. Alexander Jacobson wrote:
>   Me: My fundamental point here is that the meaning of code shouldn't
>   change depending on the location where it is interpreted. [...]
>   Concretely, the meaning of "import Data.List" in a haskell module
>   shouldn't depend on whether the module is on my computer or yours.

But that has *never* been true.  The meaning of import Data.List has always
depended on which version of which compiler you've got.  And the meaning of
an import of a non-standard module (i.e. not included with the compiler)
even moreso depends on which versions of that module you have installed,
and which compiler flags you use.
David Roundy