Binary IO

Aaron Denney wnoise at
Thu Apr 21 13:35:33 EDT 2005

On 2005-04-21, Simon Marlow <simonmar at> wrote:
> On 21 April 2005 11:16, John Meacham wrote:
>> but a useful stopgap, because their use would guarentee your code
>> wouldn't suddenly stop working when ghc changes its IO system.
> That isn't going to happen, but I take your point.

You mean we're not going to fix it?  Because right now it is broken.
None of the compilers work correctly in reading/writing all of the
Unicode characters.  Some work for the iso-8859-1 subset, with that as
the encoding.  If we change them so that they do (in some encoding),
then writing arbitrary bytes is no longer possible, short of FFI.

Aaron Denney