Cabal vs Haskell (was RE: build-depends harmful (was RE: import resolution))

S. Alexander Jacobson alex at alexjacobson.com
Wed Apr 20 14:42:30 EDT 2005

Simon,

Right now, a module name in an import declaration identifies a module
specification, a module name in a module declaration identifies an
implementation, and some "external mechanism" resolves specifications
to implementations.  The big issue on the table here is what exactly
this "external mechanism" should be.  I'll suggest some requirements:

   1. It should require minimal work for a user to share an
      implementation.

   2. It should work with and accross the Internet.

   3. It should allow arbitrtary sets of implementations to be
      delivered together as needed.

   4. It should be able to work without substantial user
      intervention.

   5. Module users rather than module authors should select how
      imported module names are resolved to implementations.

   6. Interface changes should be local to users of those interfaces.

   7. It needs to handle foreign implementations (FFI)

Unfortunately, our existing module resolver mechanisms are severely
inadequate here. Build-depends and -package both violate #1 because
they both force users to create packages even to share standalone pure
haskell modules.  The fact that module/package names can't currently
be resolved to URLs means both also violate #2 and #4. That packages
can contain at most one implementation of any module violates #3 and
#5 (and it is just a file format problem!).  That package
build/install processes can modify overall system state violates #4.
Build-depends MAJORLY violates #5 and #6.  On the plus side, they both
handle #7.

I'd like Haskell to have a module resolver mechanism that fulfills our
requirements and does not have these problems.

-Alex-

S. Alexander Jacobson tel:917-770-6565 http://alexjacobson.com