build-depends harmful (was RE: import resolution)

S. Alexander Jacobson alex at alexjacobson.com
Mon Apr 18 16:17:46 EDT 2005

I just reread my prior post and realized that it was not entirely in
english.  Trying again...

Module names in import statements refer to module specifications not
module implementations.  e.g. if Prelude refers to a spec not an
implementation, then use of any module that uses the Prelude must also
refer to a spec rather than an implementation.

Module users select hardware platform, operating system, compiler,
etc. They should also be selecting the best modules implementations
for their context. Module packagers lack enough information about user
context to do so.

The problem with build-depends and the Package Overlap Restriction is
that they move decision making from module users to module packagers.
Build-depends is far more egregious than POR and far more optional.

Packages should simply be collections of module implementations with
meta-data about how/where those implementations are best used.  Users
should then select implementations from (Hackage) catalogs of these
(Cabal) packages as needed.

Therefore, we need to remove build-depends tags from Cabal files (or
change their semantics), and make Hackage a full catalog
serving/replication protocol.

-Alex-

PS I hope this finally makes sense....

S. Alexander Jacobson tel:917-770-6565 http://alexjacobson.com