Cryptography Library Licensing

Dominic Steinitz dominic.steinitz at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Apr 16 11:53:03 EDT 2005

As you may be aware, I have collected together a set of coding / decoding and
cryptographic functions written in Haskell and put them together in one
package.

I have just modified the package and am on the point of announcing the new
much improved version using cabal and darcs. A pre-release of the package is
available at http://www.haskell.org/Codec/.

One of the final things I need to do is ensure that the licenses are correct.
It would be very helpful to me as the package maintainer if you, the authors,
could agree on one license otherwise I will have to write a special license
file (something I am keen to avoid as I am not a lawyer).

My suggestion is that that we all use the Modified BSD license from
http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/license-list.html#ModifiedBSD which I
reproduce below. This would be prepended by a copyright notice for the
authors.

Please can you either a) email with your acceptance of this or b) send me a
license for your portion of the package which would be acceptable to you. I
would much prefer the former as it would significantly reduce the amount of
work for me.

Many thanks, Dominic.

modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:

   1. Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice,
this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
   2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
   3. The name of the author may not be used to endorse or promote products
derived from this software without specific prior written permission.

THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE AUTHOR ``AS IS'' AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED
WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF
MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO
EVENT SHALL THE AUTHOR BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL,
SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO,
PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS;
OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY,
WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR
OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF
ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.