replacement for popen

David Brown haskell at davidb.org
Tue Apr 12 11:38:01 EDT 2005

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 14:22:00 +0200, Uwe Schmidt <uwe at fh-wedel.de> wrote:

> in the ghc-6.4 release the posix module is deprecated.

I assume you're referring to popen not being available.  I hope that all
of System.Posix isn't being deprecated.  As far as your problem, Simon
answered it well.  I would suggest doing explicit I/O on pipes.

Also, I have a suggest for Posix.IO.  It would be nice to have something
equivalent to hGetBuf and hPutBuf for Posix FDs.  I can make handles and
use h{Get|Put}Buf, but there is extra overhead, or I can just implement
fdGetBuf and fdPutBuf.  The idea is to do efficient, unbuffered I/O.

Dave