Module Holism (was RE: exposed packages and cabal depends)

S. Alexander Jacobson alex at alexjacobson.com
Mon Apr 11 20:46:07 EDT 2005

Short summary of my big point from my prior mail

   We want late binding of module names to implementations.
   Effectively, module names should be treated as URLS.

Argument
1. We want loose coupling of packages/modules.
2. "Build-depends" tightly couples packages/modules
3. Binding of module names to implementations should be at run time
    not package time

See here
http://www.manageability.org/blog/stuff/recombinant-long-tail/view
http://www.markbaker.ca/2002/09/Blog/2003/10/03#2003-09-mnot-late-binding

There is a natural connection between late binding of module names and
REST architectural style.

-Alex-
S. Alexander Jacobson tel:917-770-6565 http://alexjacobson.com