Data.Map documentation lacks a bit of precision

Daan Leijen daan at cs.uu.nl
Tue Apr 5 01:03:01 EDT 2005

Jesper Louis Andersen wrote:

>I am not sure this is the correct mailing list. But the old Data.FiniteMap
>implementation states for the function ``addToFM'' (in the haddock
>documentation):
>
>Adds an element to a FiniteMap. Any previous mapping with the same key is
>overwritten.
>
>Whereas the equivalent ``insert'' in the new Data.Map module States:
>
>O(log n). Insert a new key and value in the map.

You are right, this is not very clear. Can someone on this list update
the documentation?

The libraries for Data.Map, Data.Set, Data.IntMap, etc. are consistently
using the following
two rules for all operations:
1) operations are left-biased
2) the data structure comes as a last parameter

Due to (2), the signature of "insert" takes the "Map" as its last
parameter, and therefore,
it overwrites an existing value (due to (1)). Same holds for "union" for
example.

I hope this helps,
-- Daan Leijen.