Haskell Libraries Wishlist

Isaac Jones ijones at syntaxpolice.org
Mon Oct 18 23:06:29 EDT 2004

Manuel M T Chakravarty <chak at cse.unsw.edu.au> writes:

(snip)
> Summary
> ~~~~~~~
> I propose to do the following:
>
> - Prominently advertise the wiki library page at
>   http://haskell.org/libraries/ stating that we phase out the static
>   page in favour of the wiki page.
>
> - Copy all useful information from the static page to the wiki.
>
> - Decide on a layout and page structure for the libraries on the wiki.
>   (If we want to accommodate more libraries, we probably need some
>   subdivision of the information etc.)
>
> - Encourage and set up freshmeat entries for at least larger projects
>   and link them from the wiki.

I feel like there is a consensus, especially now that John has weighed
in, that we probably want to transition to the wiki.  Can we have a
prominent link added from the libraries page, and once the wiki has
all the information that the libraries page has now, we can change it
to a redirect?  John?

Are there other action items and volunteers to make the wiki more
usable for this?

John Said:

> c) Organization is a GOOD THING.  The wiki isn't enough to keep
> things organized.  Anyone that wants to install stuff to make
> library web pages more organized will get an admin account on
> haskell.org

We could wait to see if an organization will emerge from the wiki, and
I encourage someone to start to move the content over... It could also
be broken up into more than one page if the current wiki structure
doesn't work for some reason.  I, personally am not wedded to the
layout of the wiki page, fwiw.

Shae Said:

> Speaking of which, here's a partial prototype (using HaskellDB and
> Halipeto) written by David Himmelstrup:
> http://www.scannedinavian.org/cgi-bin/web/webbih

I think this is super cool, and will do my very best to continue to
push Cabal in a direction that supports this kind of work.

Personally, I think we should use the wiki in the mean time, and wait
for something like David's work to mature.

By the way, I propose that the name for a CPAN-type system be
"Hackage" since it starts with an "H", sounds like "Package" and has
the word "hack" in it.  I think Alexander Jacobson came up with this
word, and has given me permission to steal it :)

peace,

  isaac