Haskell Libraries Wishlist

Shae Matijs Erisson shae at ScannedInAvian.com
Mon Oct 18 07:12:25 EDT 2004

Manuel M T Chakravarty <chak at cse.unsw.edu.au> writes:

> (a) The current haskell.org/libraries/ page.
>   Pros: we have got it
>   Cons: developers cannot alter it themselves; we know it doesn't work
> (b) The wiki page
>   Pros: Easy to edit for everybody; exists already
>   Cons: Developers need to use the wiki (not hard, but probably a hurdle
>     for those who have never done it); free form style of wiki is more
>     work to edit and a common format must be maintained by convention
> (d) Develop a user-updateable database for haskell.org
>   Pros: custom made; easy to edit, little work to keep entries up to
>     date
>   Cons: Somebody has to implement it; it's been proposed before and not
>     done

What about a compromise like:
Library and application authors put the Cabal file for their lib or app on the
wiki, and add CategoryLibrary or CategoryApplication to the bottom of their
page so that another program can suck those Cabal descriptions out of the wiki
and into a user-friendly sexy-looking database?

Then you have a standard format (cabal), user updates (wiki), and the nice
search and display that something like WASH or Halipeto plus HaskellDB can give
you, all without manual intervention by a 'libraries admin'.
--
Shae Matijs Erisson - Programmer - http://www.ScannedInAvian.org/
"I will, as we say in rock 'n' roll, run until the wheels come off,