Block-I/O in Haskell

Jon Fairbairn Jon.Fairbairn at cl.cam.ac.uk
Thu Oct 14 15:30:00 EDT 2004

On 2004-10-14 at 19:46+0200 Peter Simons wrote:
> Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk writes:
>
>  > this disappears when we just use floating-point seconds.
>
> I agree that this is the superior approach. But at the same
> time I am not comfortable with hiding the actual resolution
> of the timer behind a Double. I believe this is something a
> wrapper for 'timeout' should do, not 'timeout' itself.

I haven't been following this discussion closely, but if the
resolution of the timer were nanoseconds, wouldn't you run
into trouble with Double for periods longer than about four
months? 2**53==2**53+1 in Double on this machine.  2**53 is
approx 9e15, but a year is only a little over 3e16ns.

Integer is the answer.

Incidentally, "Childs" is simply a surname.

Jón Fairbairn                                 Jon.Fairbairn at cl.cam.ac.uk