Tree Wars (latest round :-)

Simon Marlow simonmar at microsoft.com
Fri May 28 07:49:59 EDT 2004

On 27 May 2004 17:18, Adrian Hey wrote:

> On Wednesday 26 May 2004 10:53 am, Adrian Hey wrote:
>> I can post the test code to anyone who wants it.
>
> I've put the test code here..
>  http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~ahey/HLibs/TreeWars.tar.gz

Interesting, I get pretty much the same results as you, except that
DData.Map is now quicker on the lookup test than both FiniteMap and AVL
(0.120 vs. 0.134 and 0.138 respectively).

I'm not going to investigate this any further, because it'll take
forever to get to the bottom of.  I think we've arrived at a reasonable
conclusion, that the old FiniteMap is definitely superceded but there
isn't a clear choice between the others, so we should provide them all.

How about the following modules:

  Data.Map      -- a default implementation of maps, eg. DData.Map
  Data.Map.AVL  -- same interface, based on AVL trees
  Data.Map.Int  -- current DData.IntMap

Cheers,
	Simon