HaXml and HXml toolbox; namespace support

Ross Paterson ross at soi.city.ac.uk
Fri Mar 19 12:43:01 EST 2004

On Fri, Mar 19, 2004 at 12:23:22PM -0000, Simon Marlow wrote:

> > > HaXml
> > > -----
> > > + Already part of the common hierarchical library
> >
> > ... and will be distributed as part of the next release of Hugs.
>
> GHC used to ship with HaXml, but we stopped doing this, I believe after
> discussing it with you.  I think the reasoning was that you wanted to be
> able to distribute new versions of HaXml independently.  Is it really a
> good idea to bundle HaXml with Hugs?

The intention is to make the Hugs distribution a one-stop shop, but allow
users to upgrade loosely coupled packages if they wish to.  So future
releases of Hugs will distinguish two kinds of packages: core ones that
are all bundled together, and others (like HaXml, X11, HGL, HOpenGL)
that come in their own directories for easy deletion or replacement.
(Just delete the directory and slot in a new version.)

Some users might appreciate Win32 too, if anyone were interested in
testing/fixing it (ditto for GHC, of course).