version control and LIP

Alastair Reid alastair at
Mon Mar 15 11:50:11 EST 2004

> So I'm thinking about how to proceed with the VC of LIP.  Someone
> asked me to move it to the central CVS repository, and someone else
> asked if I would move it to darcs.

Lot's of interesting discussion triggered by this.
darcs sounds intriguing but there's a lot of (reasonable) resistance to

It seems to me that the best way to proceed is to try darcs on a project which
is relatively new (low cost of switching to it), small (low cost of switching
away from it if experiment fails), and important (so major players will try
it out).

So, if you're still willing to try darcs for LIP, I think that would be a fine
choice.  The worst that can happen is that you change to CVS or some such in
a few months.

Alastair Reid

ps The above is written without actually having tried darcs and having a
pretty large investment in using CVS.