version control and LIP

Shae Matijs Erisson shae at ScannedInAvian.com
Mon Mar 15 12:30:16 EST 2004

Seth Kurtzberg <seth at cql.com> writes:

> The real question for something like Haskell, though, is this: is the number
> of cases where CVS/subversion is inadequate significant enough to devote time
> to supporting alternatives.  I'm not convinced that the answer is yes, but
> I'm willing to listen to anyone who can make a case for it.

Here's my case:

>From a purely idealistic standpoint, I want to get paid to write Haskell, so if
I can wave killer Haskell apps in front of my clients, it's more likely they'll
let me use Haskell for what I do for them.

>From a purely pragmatic standpoint, darcs has lowest mental and administrative
overhead of any source control system I've used.

Here's the four step demo that requires a working sendmail for the push:

1. install darcs
2. darcs get http://www.ScannedInAvian.org/repos/wikiwiki
3. make a change to the scribble file in the wikiwiki directory
4. darcs push (darcs calls sendmail here)

Then you can see your changes in the repository browser:
http://www.scannedinavian.org/cgi-bin/darcs?wikiwiki*

The wikiwiki repository is a special case, because it uses email and does not check for a
valid and approved GPG signature on the emails it receives.

The more general cases are to use darcs push via ssh, sudo, or email to the
author.
As for pushing to an email address that represents a repository, it's still
simpler than CVS, since I don't have to create a new login for each person, I
only need to add their public GPG key to the allowed_keys keyring.

In my opinion, darcs is much simpler to start with, and to use than anything
else I've seen.
--
Shae Erisson  -  putStr $ fix("HELLO\n"++)  -  http://www.ScannedInAvian.org/
OSDir: Community building... interesting... what's the secret sauce?