version control and LIP

Simon Peyton-Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Mon Mar 15 09:17:17 EST 2004

I don't have any opinion about the relative merits of different VC
systems (except selfish reluctance to learn a new one) but whatever you
choose *must* work flawlessly on Windows as well as Unix.  Lots of
people use Haskell on Windows machines.

With Gour's encouragement I managed to build GHC quite easily using
MSYS, a lightweight cousin of Cygwin.  When I install the MSYS developer
toolkit I get CVS and ssh.  I'm certain I don't get arch/darcs etc.
It's not a big deal to install something else, but the something else
should be guaranteed available for Windows and (strong preference) not
require Cygwin.

Simon