hierarchical libraries documentation index

Martin Sjögren msjogren at gmail.com
Thu Jul 29 10:58:15 EDT 2004

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 15:17:21 +0100, Simon Marlow <simonmar at microsoft.com> wrote:
> On 29 July 2004 14:16, Martin Sjögren wrote:
>
> > I think it would be nice to have the docs split up per-package. I.e.
> > one page for haskell98, one for base, one for unix etc. Of course,
> > there could be a complete page of everything too, but I find it's a
> > pain to navigate it because it's so long...
>
> Are you talking about splitting up the contents, or the index?  Up until the last release, both of these pages used to be per-package.  But we found that this was bad because someone looking for a particular module didn't know which package to look in, and the package boundaries are kind of arbitrary.

If by "contents" you mean the list of modules, then that's what I
mean. For example, I've never used the OpenGL or GLUT packages, most
of what I use is in base, and if it's not in base I find it's good to
be reminded of that since it will pull in extra dependencies.

> If you find it a pain to navigate the combined contents page, then I think the solution is not to split it up, but to make it easier to navigate (a bit of dynamic HTML goes a long way...).

Well, I'd like to have both... Both a complete view and a per-package view.

/Martin