major missing piece to arrays?

Carsten Schultz carsten at codimi.de
Mon Jul 19 21:34:46 EDT 2004

(I am not sure, if keeping the cc to libraries is ok, apologies in
 case it is not.)

On Mon, Jul 19, 2004 at 06:23:21PM -0700, John Meacham wrote:
> I am curious what the best way to go about writing specialized versions
> is,
> placing the copying functions in a class, with (slow) default methods
> for everything and special instances for (IO)UArrays? or relying on
> RULES pragmas to do the appropriate specialization?

I would vote for RULEs.

> anyone have any intuition on which would be a better approach to take?
> The class is more straightforward, but since we are not changing
> behavior, just doing a pure type based optimization, perhaps RULES is
> the better way to go.

Exactly.

> (can RULES even be used in this way?

I think so:

http://www.haskell.org/ghc/docs/latest/html/users_guide/pragmas.html#SPECIALIZE-PRAGMA

Greetings,

Carsten

--
Carsten Schultz (2:38, 33:47), FB Mathematik, FU Berlin
http://carsten.codimi.de/