Cabal and installing packages.

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Tue Dec 7 07:28:40 EST 2004

On Tue, 2004-12-07 at 10:15 +0000, Simon Marlow wrote:
> On 07 December 2004 09:57, Keean Schupke wrote:
>
> > Also a section like gentoo's make.conf (for ebuilds) where local
> > options can
> > be set in a file (for things like optimisation flags etc)...
>
> I might be on my own here, but I happen to think that the way Gentoo
> encourages you to have local optimisation flag settings is complete
> madness.   Probably the only good thing that can be said for it is that
> it's given the gcc developers a lot of good testing.
>
> I don't think we want to do this for Haskell, it introduces one more way
> for things to go wrong, and one more thing to forget in a bug report.

Yes, it's been common in gentoo land in recent years for ebuilds to
ignore the user supplied CFLAGS entirely or strip out certain flags to
stop people from shooting themselves in the foot.

Unlike for C, for Haskell compilers there are fewer interesting
optimisation or platform specific flags (think -O?, -march=???,
-fbe-really-sloppy-with-floating-point etc etc). This is a good thing
since there is less desire to fiddle.

I agree, for our various Haskell ebuilds we do not provide any easy way
for users to override HCFLAGS.

Duncan