Cabal and installing packages.

Simon Marlow simonmar at microsoft.com
Fri Dec 3 11:47:42 EST 2004

On 03 December 2004 16:24, Keean Schupke wrote:

> Cool, I should have paid more attention to the Cabal stuff... Next
> question is;
>
> Is there planned to be a front-end for fetching packages, that would
> let you download
> and install a package (and all its dependancies) from the command
> line? All I could
> find were the ./setup <option> commands?

If you're on a system with a good package manager (i.e. *BSD, Debian,
Gentoo) then the plan is that this is all handled by the system package
manager.  We don't want to duplicate that work, and we want to coexist
with the system's package tools as much as possible.  Cabal will make it
easy to generate package skeletons for these systems.

We don't have a good story for the rest yet - that includes systems that
don't have a package manager, and when you want to install packages in
your own filespace on a multi user machine.  A tool to do what you
describe would definitely help here.

Cheers,
	Simon