#ifdef considered harmful (was: DData)

JP Bernardy jyp_7 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 15 06:14:18 EDT 2004

--- Daan Leijen <daanleijen at xs4all.nl> wrote:
> I agree with you that in general we should avoid a
> preprocessor.
> However, in the DData case it is hard to see a
> different solution.
> Using a "mini module" to do the bit-fiddling won't
> work that well since
>
> 1) It is imperative for performance that the ghc
> "shiftRL#" gets inlined,
>    which doesn't happen if it is in a separate
> module.

Is this true? I thought GHC exports some intermediate
code in .hi files.

> 2) As part of the standard libraries, you can't have
> three extra modules for
>    each system

Yet, in this case, maybe the various haskell
implementations could be unfied in a manner that
#ifdefs become unnecessary.

Also, I think that support for older implementations
(ie. GHC < 503) can be dropped, but I need an
"official" opinion here.

Cheers,
JP.