System.Locale is broken?

Simon Marlow simonmar at microsoft.com
Tue Apr 13 14:50:11 EDT 2004

> System.Locale.defaultTimeLocale, which appears to be taken
> directly from
> the Haskell report, is hard-coded to american english
> settings... which
> seems to defeat the purpose of the module.  Are there plans
> to provide the actual locale?
>
> I have users who would like to have their times formatted according to
> their own locale.  I'd rather not have to do this using the
> FFI to access the C library. :(

We can't change Locale.defaultTimeLocale, because the Haskell 98 report
specifies it.  OTOH, I agree that it should do something reasonable.  We
can change System.Locale.defaultTimeLocale to be locale-specific: if you
have some code, I'll incorporate it (assuming there are no objections).

Cheers,
	Simon