sleeping

Sven Panne Sven.Panne at informatik.uni-muenchen.de
Tue Oct 28 16:34:58 EST 2003

John Meacham wrote:
> System.system("sleep 4")
>
> should be mostly portable. not sure if there is an equivalant thing to
> run on windows...

Apart from the massive overkill of spawning a process for such simple task,
this is definitely not portable. What about e.g. Mac OS X? No idea...

Wolfgang Thaller wrote:
 > Do you consider Control.Concurrent.threadDelay to be portable enough?

Nope, that's exactly the part of Control.Concurrent which is guarded with
#ifdef __GLASGOW_HASKELL__, so it won't work with Hugs and nhc98.

Nevertheless, I'm sure every platform has a good way of sleeping, so my
proposal is to move (u)sleep out of the unix package into the base
libraries, but I'm not sure where exactly in the hierarchy it should be
placed.

Cheers,
    S.