XML DTD for the package configuration file

Isaac Jones ijones at syntaxpolice.org
Wed Oct 15 10:59:41 EDT 2003

Ross Paterson <ross at soi.city.ac.uk> writes:

> On Wed, Oct 15, 2003 at 11:35:41AM +0100, Simon Peyton-Jones wrote:
>> As I understand it, XML Schema are the successor for DTDs.  My guess is
>> that we should use a Schema unless there's a good reason to use a DTD.
>
> Um, why do we want to use either to describe this data structure?  I
> thought the plan was to eat our own dog food (and it tastes so much
> nicer).

We are.  The data structure itself will be in Haskell, and the XML
will be parsed by Haskell.  The DTD is a means of describing the XML
file, not the data structure.  Is there some Haskell way to describe
the structure of an XML file?

Or are you agreeing with Daan that we shouldn't be using XML?

peace,

isaac