XML DTD for the package configuration file

Simon Peyton-Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Wed Oct 15 12:35:41 EDT 2003

As I understand it, XML Schema are the successor for DTDs.  My guess is
that we should use a Schema unless there's a good reason to use a DTD.
Here's a snip from http://www.w3schools.com/schema/schema_intro.asp
but I'm sure there are better sources of information:

XML Schemas are the Successors of DTDs

We think that very soon XML Schemas will be used in most Web
applications as a replacement for DTDs. Here are some reasons:

XML Schemas are extensible to future additions
XML Schemas are richer and more useful than DTDs
XML Schemas are written in XML
XML Schemas support data types
XML Schemas support namespaces

Simon