implementation of file-related modules

Jon Fairbairn Jon.Fairbairn at
Thu Oct 9 12:26:02 EDT 2003

On 2003-10-09 at 10:42+0200 ketil+haskell at  wrote:
> Isaac Jones <ijones at> writes:
> > * Some languages have a means of building paths in a portable way.  It
> >   would be nice if we had access a file separator (like "/" in unix
> >   and "\" in windows).
> If this is really necessary, I'd prefer it if it was taken care of
> "under the hood".

Why can't we just adopt URL (is that the right one or is it
URI or URN) notation? Ideally we'd have something that
handled all the possible protocols, but using the post ":"
part of <file://whatever> would cover the syntactic
differences mentioned above.

Jón Fairbairn                                 Jon.Fairbairn at