Time library discussion (reprise)

Graham Klyne GK at ninebynine.org
Fri Nov 14 10:34:22 EST 2003

At 12:31 13/11/03 -0800, Carl Witty wrote:
> > I just looked up the list of timezone abbreviations, and it's pretty
> > short.  The library could easily include this list.
>Where did you find this list?  With a little Google searching I found
>several conflicting sources:

FWIW, a widely respected source is the Olson database, at:

Ah, I see you mention that too:
The data which is currently "authoritative", at least for Linux (the
ultimate source for the files in my /usr/share/zoneinfo directory), is
the tzdata package from ftp://elsie.nci.nih.gov/pub/.

This is cited by RFC2445 (iCalendar), and was frequently mentioned in the
old IETF calendaring/scheduling discussions that I reviewed some time
ago.  But in the end it proved to be a somewhat intractable topic, which is
why we went for the cut down time-and-date format specification in RFC 3339.

Graham Klyne
For email: