Time library discussion (reprise)

Simon Marlow simonmar at microsoft.com
Fri Nov 14 09:48:41 EST 2003

> Where did you find this list?  With a little Google searching I found
> several conflicting sources:

Just used the first one that popped up in google:

http://www.timeanddate.com/library/abbreviations/timezones/

I was planning to check this against the zoneinfo stuff in glibc.

> > Perhaps we want a way to map geographical locations to timezones.
>
> Ooh, dangerous.

Ok, duly noted.

> I recommend reading through the files in tzdata

Thanks but no thanks :-)

I should point out that my motivation here is just to push the
discussion forward until we have a library that everyone is happy with.
I have very little interest in the finer points of date/time programming
myself, but I'm hoping that those who do will tell me what to do,
preferably in the form of patches.

In particular I'm hoping that someone will contribute the calendar
manipulation part of the library that is currently missing.

Cheers,
	Simon