time since the epoch

Stefan Karrmann sk at mathematik.uni-ulm.de
Thu Nov 13 22:09:05 EST 2003

Dear Juanma,

thanks for your remarks.

Juanma Barranquero (Mon, Nov 10, 2003 at 10:54:22AM +0100):
> On Fri, 7 Nov 2003 19:55:47 +0100
> Stefan Karrmann <sk at mathematik.uni-ulm.de> wrote:
>
> > I've inserted 'convert = (uncurry cFromTai) . cToTai'.
>
> Great, thanks.
>
> > A fixed and checked version is appended and carbon copied to
> > <haskell-libs-developers at lists.sourceforge.net>.
>
> What's haskell-libs-developers? I thought libraries' development was
> carried over on libraries at haskell.org... (And shouldn't we be discussing
> Tai.lhs there, BTW :)

Well, the original thread was on this list. I'm moving it to
libraries at haskell.org now.

> I'm attaching a patch (diff -u2) with a few small changes:

I've included it.

> More coments:
>
>  - I'm sending you the patch throw the Haskell list because previous
>    attempts of sending to your e-mail address failed.

I'm using ASK as a spam killer. Do you have problems with it?

>  - Are you very fond of the literate style? I ask because unlit'ing it
>    would allow adding Haddock coments, which would be nice.

I've given it a try, but my comment marking could be improved.

>  - I'm not sure I like depending on a leapseconds table hardcoded in the
>    source, even if it changes slowly. Wouldn't it be better to have the
>    data in a file and load it through unsafePerformIO? (And isn't
>    unsafePerformIO, after all? :)

Well, I included the two as examples. The empty one is correct for all
times before 1970-01-01. That's more than ten billion years.

>  - I get a warning with -Wall:
>
>     Warning: Defined but not used:
> 		 TimeDiff, days_from_MJD2unixEpoch, days_from_unixEpoch2MJD',
> 		 hours_per_day, isodelta, isomoveDHM, isomoveS, isomoveYM,
> 		 libtaiEpoch, month_per_year, test, test2

Some values are only for testing and debugging while others are
experimental, e.g. TimeDiff and friends.

>    Several of these are neither used nor exported. ???

Regards,
--
Stefan Karrmann