Time library discussion (reprise)

Graham Klyne gk at ninebynine.org
Sun Nov 9 14:00:49 EST 2003

I noted this in the draft communities report:

[[
Currently, the discussion has stalled again. The leap seconds
issue is something of a sticking point, and there are some
implementability question marks over other parts of the API.
Contribution to (any aspect of) the discussion is welcomed.
]]

As a process meta-issue, I would ask:  is there an approach we can adopt
that allows the concerns about implementability of leap-seconds to be
deferred to a later stage, to the maximum extent possible.

My simple-minded view is that an approach based on an underlying value a
pair of values (e.g. days,picoseconds) would allow systems implemented
without concern for leap seconds to be adequate for a good number of
practical applications.  And systems that do know about leap seconds can do
a better job.

#g