Name allocation

Ketil Z. Malde ketil@ii.uib.no
30 May 2003 14:31:13 +0200

"Simon Marlow" <simonmar@microsoft.com> writes:

> One other approach is to do it the Microsoft way and give all libraries
> GUIDs, with the rule that you have to change the GUID when you change
> the library API.

Does this really buy us anything?  Isn't type checking sufficient in
practice?  Do we really want linking to fail if somebody has added
another export to a module?

Idea: Perhaps we could checksum the export types *and* (QuickCheck)
invariants?  A change in the properties would (often? sometimes?) mean
that a bug has been fixed and is now being checked for, which could
be a reason for caution.

-kzm