Haskell library infrastructure coordinator

David Roundy droundy@jdj5.mit.edu
Wed, 28 May 2003 17:38:07 -0400

On Wed, May 28, 2003 at 05:00:20PM +0100, Alastair Reid wrote:
> Isaac Jones writes:
> >  * The make system should be wrapped with a python-style distutils
> > system which provides a ./setup.hs with standard targets so that every
> > library gets built and installed the same way
>
> I think it is a great idea to have this extra level of indirection.  It
> means that people can use makefiles, configure scripts, etc. suited to
> their application, preferences, choice of license, etc. and still play
> with everyone else. Obviously this needs a different version of setup.hs
> for each infrastructure but this hopefulyl isn't too hard.
>
> I think it's a mistake to make it a Haskell script though because that's
> bound to lead to bootstrapping issues.  I'd use a shell script instead.

The shell script would lead to issues on windows, though.  I think it's
probably better to assume that since you need the haskell compiler in order
to compile the libraries it's safe to use it for the setup.  It seems like
a lot of the point of the library infrastructure is to separate the
compiler build process from the library build process.  Libraries should be
much easier to build than compilers...
--
David Roundy
http://civet.berkeley.edu/droundy/