Haskell library infrastructure coordinator

Isaac Jones ijones@syntaxpolice.org
28 May 2003 17:02:36 -0400

Peter Simons <simons@cryp.to> writes:

> Ketil Z Malde writes:
>
>  > Alastair Reid <alastair@reid-consulting-uk.ltd.uk> writes:
>  >
>  >> Let's make version numbered releases the standard.
>
>  > Yes, I absolutely agree, of course. The important part is
>  > distributing source, which is simple and will work well in most
>  > cases.
>
> I agree as well. Following the CVS repository is for library
> developers. Regular releases should be provided and, if possible,
> should come with of the compilers.

Whenever people mention altering or shipping something with the
compilers, red flags go up in my brain.  I think that one of the
reasons for this project is to decouple more stuff from the compiler
distributions.

In general, I'd like to steer the discussion about distribution toward
things that integrate with packaging systems like dpkg & FreeBSD's
ports.  I would like to see a system flexible enough that:

- Authors can distribute libraries & tools from their web pages in a
way that makes it very easy for users to download and use them.
- Packagers for various OSs have a sane way to create packages.
- Compiler distributions can hook into a set of libraries that
consensus says most people will want by default (but may not be a part
of the Haskell standard).  We might call this "hslibs".  In debian,
ghc5 might depend on hslibs-ghc5, which will in turn depend on a bunch
of small packages.

And more optionally:
- A central repository of useful Haskell libraries can be maintained
in a way that blends the best of cathedral & bazaar.

How do you feel about that way of putting it?

peace,

isaac